Louise Epstein and Therese Tuley are Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, of the Fairfax Education Coalition, a volunteer network of parents, teachers, and community members dedicated to strengthening public involvement with Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS). Members come from FAIRGRADE, SLEEP, FairfaxCAPS, Fairfax Zero Tolerance Reform, and Fairfax Education Association.
The coalition will monitor and report on the actions of the FCPS administration and school board to increase public awareness. The coalition will advocate for improved accountability, transparency, and community participation in the FCPS decisionmaking process.
- Increase community awareness and encourage public communication with the school board and FCPS administration via email updates, a comprehensive website, and other means.
- Establish collaborative relationship between school board/staff and stakeholders.
- Improve access to FCPS data and information by promoting an FCPS data bank.
- Provide data on the FEC website.
- Inform media of activities and issues via press releases, letters to the editor, and interviews.
- Evaluate and recommend improvements to FCPS budget process, operational expectations, monitoring criteria (including measures), reporting, and strategic governance approach.
- Review adequacy and effectiveness of activities covered in school board monitoring reports, focusing in 2009/2010 on the following:
- Budget and financial management
- Community relations
- Facilities and transportation Instructional program
- Provide reports and evaluation to community.
- Attend and record board and staff meetings.
- Report on board and staff meetings.